Monday 23 March 2009

My favourite wrestlers :: Shawn Michaels


In my opinion Shawn Michaels is the most charismatic wrestler I have ever seen.

I have watched him since he entered the WWE in a tag team called The Rockers and have witnessed his rise to the top of the company.

In his hey day he appealed to just about everyone in the crowd. Men wanted to be like him, women fancied him and children idolised him. When I went to see WWE live at the Royal Albert Hall in 1994 I badgered my parents into purchasing the Michaels clip on earrings which I got most use out of!

I also distinctly remember saying to my Mum after the show that I was going to have a hairy chest like Shawn when I was older.

Now aged 43, it is no surprise that we still see him on our television screens given his massive popularity and marketing potential.

He has kept himself in fantastic shape and although he is starting to look old now, his showman personality is still there wanting to work the crowd and work some amazing matches.

His entrance is one of the most memorable in the business particularly as he has never changed his theme music which he sang himself. You would think singing your own music couldn't possibly be effective or cool however he pulled it off so well that the song has been used throughout all his career.

Watch one of his best entrances below.


I think anyone would agree with me that Michaels was at his best as a heel in the early and mid nineties. His cocky brash style is what I and every current WWE fan want to see again however it doesn't look like this will happen.

We saw glimpses of this character return in 2005 when Raw was being held in Montreal and the hate from the crowd was still so evident even though the screw job happened in 1997. Virtually every word he said was mercilessly booed and can be viewed below.


Michaels was also effective as a face and he has created some magical moments down the years. A particular height was when he achieved his 'boyhood dream' of winning the WWE title in 1996 beating Bret Hart in a breath taking 1 hour iron man match.

You can always see the emotion in his performances in and out of the ring and this was most evident in his retirement speech in 1997 which made many people including me shed a tear.

2 comments:

  1. Hbk is my favourite wrestler: He is simply the greatest wrestler of all time, and the most charismatic champion in sport entertainment history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE SHAWN MICHAELS HE'S SEXY NAD THE MOST CHARISMATIC WRESTLER IN WWE,HIS PERFORMANCES ARE MEMORABLE...!HE WAS HE IS HE WILL BE THE SHOWSTOPPER THE HEADLINER THE MAIN EVENT THE ICON MR WRESTLEMANIA THE HEARTBREAK KID!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete